Instant messaging, Voice over IP calls, and video calls are the functions we use on a daily basis and everyone is looking to create the perfect app for that purpose. Everyone has heard about Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp and Skype, but are there any alternatives?
LINE is an Android app which offers the functions mentioned above and it's available for free. Its download size is 84 MB, but the space it occupies grows over time (as is the case with all instant messaging apps).
The core features include instant messaging, free calls or video calls (using your Internet connection), and you can even make paid calls to mobile devices or landline phones. There is also the Timeline feature which you can use to post statuses and photos that your contacts can see (pretty much like Facebook).
There are two types of in-app 'currencies'. The first one is called LINE Points, and it can be acquired by performing various tasks. It brings some bonuses and additional features. The second one is LINE Coins, and these are acquired via purchase only. They are used to purchase themes and stickers.
The app also offers additional LINE services and games, but they have to be downloaded separately. Group messages support up to 100 people which is not enough for certain people (especially businessmen). Sharing multimedia files is easy and it includes voice files, videos and pictures.
• Fulfills all of your basic needs
• There is a Timeline feature which can be used to share among your closest friends
• Sharing multimedia files is easy and photos can be easily edited
• There are plenty of original stickers, some of them available for free
• Group chats are limited to 100 people
• Few free themes to choose from
• Not popular enough to replace other messaging apps